Thursday, April 28, 2011

it really is spring, finally... and my brain is buzzing, full of calendula bouquets & datura-lust

Yes, there has been a definite lack of posting.  It seems to be hard to keep up with something like a blog when my backyard is full of tiny little plant creatures, all of whom need a lot more love than I am able to give at the moment... but I've set aside 3 hours this morning to have a little chat with each of them.  My datura woke me up as I was falling asleep last night--she has been leafing out for about a month now, but as I wandered outside last night to pay my respects & harvest a leaf for a night-time flying session of sorts I was stopped in my tracks by the power of her shadows.  Plants have a way of revealing their true faces very slowly over a period of many seasons, many years--and this is one of my strongest plant allies, but I was reminded yet again that I have barely scratched the surface here with her.  Her shadow was just so striking--such softness, the fuzz on her stems glowing in the light of the night, yet the contours of the clusters of new healthy leaves shot up, stretched at angles full of ferocity and that dangerous nightshade poison that I know so well.  The shadow moved as I moved, but more drastically, full of shifts and back-arches and outstretching with leaves.  I buried a dead hummingbird under her soil, deep down near her thick roots where the blood meal has begun to do its work, and hung my snake-necklace around her thick central stem... a few drops of oil, a few words and some ghost-corn prayers and I harvested a leaf from her.  Her leaves smell like peanut butter and are so soft--her intensity is buried beneath softness and seduction & maybe that's why I feel such a strong sensual connection to this particular plant.  Bloodroot has been another plant lately that has made me marvel endlessly at her power--my relationship with Bloodroot is just beginning & hasn't been growing for years as has been my relationship with Datura, but I feel like there's a strong connection there & am very much looking forward to exploring it.... to say nothing of the hundreds of tiny little seedlings that are growing oh so quickly under the shade of the brugmansia tree blooming like mad in my backyard.  So much beauty these days, so much enchantment & still, there's always the darkness & pain buried under my dirt-coated, sweat-drenched, sun-crisped skin.

No comments:

Post a Comment