Monday, June 13, 2011

Restless,
These days are:
disappearing rapidly
falling down like old leaves
as i hurl myself 
(accidentally)
head thrown forward pushing against gravity
the most i hear 
(elderberry trees snipped back from the trail)
is the sound of an egg breaking 
(stick-crunch)

this tear-stained face i lift to the sky
swallowed, knee deep in dirt
swooned thickly, breast and heart swallowed, swallowed
wrapped by grey mist as she tucks her blanket in over the rocks, the earth
tucks her blanket in over me
(swollen eyes, still kissing trees)
earth loves water
water loves earth
(they say)

It's in the poison,
It's in the drugs.
It's in the clouds--expanding.
(obscurity, comfortable darkness of everything)
(i am standing, floating, anchored only by steam and sky-vapors)
yet a campfire flames just around the corner
past the fledgling maple trees and artemisia
(so young, so deceptively fragile)
past the trickling of water on rocks, past the poison oak
past the water trough the fire--
the fire burns
(undeterred by wetness and falling mist)

two children walk slowly up and down the steep curve of the mountain
they pretend they are skiing, they slip on the shale
and laugh
and laugh again.

(it's like throwing a teardrop into the flames)

1 comment:

  1. So, I'm doing that thing where I come up for air during, what I can only assume, is a one or two year breath between depressions. It's been five years (almost to the day, actually) since I first felt it settling in around my throat and ankles. Ugh, I feel so old now! Anyway, I just posted shit to fb so Mac could see my trip to Greece, and while on, I wanted to see what my brilliant friend was up to. Reading your posts here made me miss the crazy awesome mess that you are and that I am and that we are when we get together. I hope you are finding peace, love, productivity, and a bit of ecstatic madness (if only to help with the productivity part). My email is still eremison@hotmail.com if you ever want to write. Love-Ems

    ReplyDelete